Friday, June 18, 2010

Whoops I missed a few days

by Anne

Veganism is not easy.

It's pretty hard to totally avoid all animal products. This country's entire diet hinges on animal products. It's easy to avoid meat, that's rarely hidden into food, and cheese is easy to escape because it's always listed in a food's description but eggs and butter are pretty hard to avoid in most things that are cooked. Salad is a pretty safe bet.

Vegan foods I've tried recently include the Pirate Brands snack foods. Tings corn sticks and Veggie Pirate's booty are both vegan so I've given them a try. I really like both of them.



Most of, if not all, of the Pirate's brand snack foods are kosher as well.

My sister and I went out to lunch yesterday. I had an endive salad with caramelized pecans. I have no doubt that they were made using butter. I'd say this is harder than I thought it was going to be but it's really just about as hard as I thought it was going to be.

I'm not sure if Newman's O's dairy free are technically vegan. According to a PETA list they are. The list says that all Newman's O's are vegan but if that's true, why is there a dairy-free version? Those are the ones I ate. Here's the PETA list of vegan friendly junk foods for those who read this (HA!) who might want to know. I was really excited to discover that Stacy's Pita chips are, in fact, vegan. SCORE. Although I really don't think Ritz crackers are vegan, I'll take PETA's word for it.

That link above provides a link to a really helpful website for the new vegan shopper. I'm excited to keep researching and find out more. I think I'm losing a little bit of weight, but I'm definitely feeling better. Losing weight was always going to be a happy side effect if it were to happen. Feeling better was the goal and I already do feel better eating lighter foods with less yucky stuff in them.

Woo! Feeling better about this vegan thing all the time!

ETA: Now the links are back, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment