Monday, June 14, 2010

Saturday - day 4/ Sunday - day 5

by Anne

A day late on this one.

Not much new to report. I made delicious (almost) vegan pancakes today that were widely accepted by the family.

Jimmy and I made them for lunch. I substituted the applesauce for the egg, but used real organic milk instead of soymilk. Soymilk is a tradeoff I'm just not ready to make yet, as I've written before.

They were really tasty and after some practice with the griddle on Sunday morning, were not quite so wrinkly when I attempted to flip them.

I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle mix:

Two thumbs up for this stuff.

Sunday night for dinner I made some spaghetti sauce and tried my first taste of Kamut pasta.

My spaghetti sauce was fantastic, if I do say so myself. It's the green peppers that make the difference, in my opinion. Here's my recipe:

1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 clove minced garlic
2T olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes (~15 oz)
1 can diced tomatotes (~15 oz)
1 T oregano
2 t brown sugar
salt and pepper

1. Sautee the peppers, onions, and garlic in the olive oil in a medium sauce pan until the onions are soft and translucent.
2. Add cans of tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
3. Simmer on low for a few minutes before adding brown sugar.
4. Simmer at least fifteen more minutes.

It was quite tasty and quite in demand by members of my family.

You can add ground meat, mushrooms, cheese, or anything else you would normally find in a spaghetti sauce. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment