Saturday, July 10, 2010

One month

by Anne

Whoops, I haven't written in here in a bit. And I almost posted this on Queen City Sabres. Haha that would've been confusing.

Today marks one month of me being a vegan. So far, so good. I must confess that I inadvertently drank a regular milk frappuccino the other day because I was distracted while I was ordering and forgot to ask for soy milk. Oh well, I felt guilty but better to drink it than let it go to waste. My Mom was more than happy to drink some and help alleviate some of my guilt.

So far after one month I've lost seven pounds, feel pretty good and haven't really missed much. I don't miss meat at all, I don't miss eggs, I miss cheese the most, but if I don't see it, I don't really miss it much. Homemade macaroni and cheese is the thing that makes me the most nostalgic for dairy. Other than that, it's been pretty uneventful. A friend of mine is a long time vegetarian who is trying out being a vegan for a while. She texted me this morning to ask about sub rolls at Subway, haha. For the record, their italian and hearty italian are okay, as well as the regular wheat but the honey oat is not as well as all of the cheese breads and the flatbreads. Hopefully she likes italian or plain wheat.

Tonight my sister leaves for Chicago for a few weeks. I'm going to try to whip up my first batch of carob chip cookies. My vegan birthday cake was good. The cake was vanilla and rather dense, almost like a pound cake. I really liked it but it wasn't a universal success. My Mom didn't really like it, but the rest of the family seemed to. My Mom has never been a huge cake fan.

On to the carob chip cookies! I was amazed by how long they have to cook, most recipes called for at least 25-30 minutes. I'm going to keep a close eye on them to see if that isn't a little too long. I shall report back on their success or failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment